DJ Mustard Speaks On DJ Drama : “Drama’s bigger than a mixtape DJ now…”

DJ Mustard Speaks On DJ Drama : “Drama’s bigger than a mixtape DJ now…”

Right before he hit the stage at SXSW, DJ Mustard chopped it up with HipHopDX about his influences in the DJ game. Mustard was quick to answer with Mr. thanksgiving himself, DJ Drama.

“I used to want to be like DJ Drama a lot.” said Mustard. “That’s who I looked up to: Drama. I still look up to Drama, but Drama was like God. All I wanted to do was be a mixtape deejay. Drama’s bigger than a mixtape DJ now, but when I was coming up that was the dude. [He’s] the best mixtape deejay. I don’t think no other mixtape deejay is messing with Drama. I used to [wonder] what was gonna be my Gangster Grillz. Drama didn’t play. If you got a Gangster Grillz mixtape, you were official. I might do a Gangster Grillz Ketchup mixtape.”

Mustard went on to speak about his signature sound.

“At first when I used to do beats I’d be like, ‘God, everything sounds the same. I gotta switch it,’” Mustard said. “But it’s not about how you switch it. It’s about how you change it in your own way to keep it so that it’s still you. I don’t take it for granted. I feel like God got a plan. I think it’s way bigger than me, you, YG. I think it’s bigger than all of this. You’ve got to really work and not take it for granted and really focus on your music.”

Share this story
DJ Mustard Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
DJ Mustard Related Songs & Videos