"I just called on my closest friends to be on the remix," Joe said Tuesday via phone from Miami. "I f— with Wayne heavy, Baby heavy. The R, that's me and him all day. The young boy Ace Mack, that's the new kid.
"The best remix ever is [Craig Mack's] 'Flava in Ya Ear,' " he continued. "That's always what you trying to accomplish. I try to go for that. We definitely doing a video, we're going in heavy. [We're going to] try to do it out here Super Bowl weekend."
Oddly enough, Joe says he was able to get everybody in the studio together at one time to do the remix — except R. Kelly, who stayed in Chicago.
"That's weird, because you usually just do [the song] and fly in the vocals, but n—as just happened to be all in the same place. We did it in Miami. One big party, one big celebration. They said, 'The party's at Joe's house.' "
But Joe hasn't only been playing remix host as of late — he acts as guest on a remix of Musiq's single "Buddy," going back and forth with his good friend Ja Rule on the opening of the record. There are actually three versions of the Musiq remix floating around: the aforementioned one with Joe and Ja; one with Young Buck and Jazze Pha; and one with Joe, Ja and Jadakiss.
Joe says he and Ja were in Angola when one of their friends played the original Musiq song for them. They liked it so much that they recorded their verses right in the hotel.
"We went on tour in Africa, me and Ja Rule," Joey Crack thought back. "We had some time in the [hotel] room. [We heard the song and] I was like, 'Oh my God!' Ja the same thing. We said, 'F— it, let's do it, EPMD-style.' … We're just working with each other, having fun, making fun records. That's it."
Joe says he's about to start working on his next album right after Terror Squad member DJ Khaled's next LP is in the can.
"I'm coming," Joe promised. "I'mma start working [on my LP] now. We just finished Khaled's album. His album is nothing to play with. Remember I told you. You gonna bug out."
Do you have remix fever? Here are five essential posse cuts you need to hear:
· "Buddy" remix by De La Soul (featuring A Tribe Called Quest, Queen Latifah, Monie Love and the Jungle Brothers) (1989)
· "Scenario" remix by A Tribe Called Quest (featuring King Hood and Leaders of the New School) (1992)
· "Flava in Ya Ear" remix by Craig Mack (featuring Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, Rampage and Busta Rhymes) (1994)
· "I Wanna Be Down" remix by Brandy (featuring Queen Latifah, Yo-Yo and MC Lyte) (1994)
· "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye" extended remix by Sheek Louch (featuring Jadakiss, the Game, Beanie Sigel, Fabolous and T.I.) (2005)