Super Producer Hit Boy Speaks On Drake’s “Trophies”; Says Dr. Dre Passed On ‘Alert’

Super Producer Hit Boy Speaks On Drake’s “Trophies”; Says Dr. Dre Passed On ‘Alert’

A few months back, while promoting the release of Nothing Was The Same, Drake released a trailer scored with what is now known as “Trophies“. Super producer Hit Boy is responsible for that crazy ass beat and recently spoke about his frustrations concerning  the way the song ended up being released.

“Frustration is an understatement,” Hit-Boy says in an interview with Stashed TV. “But it’s love. I got respect for Drake. He knows what’s best for him. He’s been dictating his career since Day One. So I’m not going to come in and be like, ‘You gotta use this song.'”

Hit Boy also spoke on the overall vibe in the studio with Drake.

“Amazing,” Hit-Boy says. “We went up to Toronto and just kicked it. It was a fam vibe. [Drake] made sure we were straight, to say the least…It was a dope time.”

“He had ‘Worst Behavior’ and some other joints that was smacking and now it’s time for ‘Trophies’ to tear these niggas apart,” Hit-Boy says. “I’m just happy it’s out. The new flows on that shit. The new timing with the horn. We changin’ it up. It ain’t the same.” 

The interview with Stashed TV also covered Hit Boy’s most recent hit “Alert” and how that beat was originally intended for Dr. Dre.

“I made that song trying to give it to Dr. Dre,” Hit-Boy says. “He came in. He really liked it, but I guess it wasn’t fitting where he was at right now. I felt like it was an urgent song…[Nipsey Hussle and I] made the song and a week later it was on the radio.” 

Watch the full interview with Hit Boy below:

Share this story
Hit Boy Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
Hit Boy Related Songs & Videos