Ice T Speaks On The Lack Of Black Artists in Rock Music

Ice T Speaks On The Lack Of Black Artists in Rock Music

The OG Ice T recently chopped it up with VladTV and spoke about a range of topics. Ice detailed his thoughts on the lack of black artists in rock music and said he’s not sure of the reason, but feels like more artists should venture out the box.

“Black people invented rock n’ roll,” Ice T said. “When you look at Little Richard and Chuck Berry and people like that that’s just where it all came from. And I tell people Hip Hop is rock. We don’t R&B the mic. We rock the mic. We rock the house. Rock is ours. You dig? But why there’s so many few black people playing it? I really don’t understand cause it’s right up our alley. It’s rage. It’s energy. It’s fun. I think a lot of black people are still mind-fucked. You know? They don’t really understand [and] they pigeonhole themselves into certain types of music. And they just don’t venture out of the box.”

Ice T went on to discuss the backlash he experienced over his song, “Cop Killer“.

“It hit pretty hard,” he said. “The president came after us. And still today people think it’s a rap record. So, it’s a lot of misinformation and stuff. But we still get it today. Right now I’m on television playing the police. Police don’t necessarily like me. I mean, once you make a record called ‘Cop Killer,’ it’s like if somebody made a record called ‘Black Killer.’ Could they even apologize for that? You see what I’m saying? So, it never really goes away. So, we just gotta live with it. But it was a protest record against police brutality. That’s what it was. It always has been.”

Share this story
Ice T Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
Ice T Related Songs & Videos