Russell Simmons On DMX, “He was brilliant…he was just amazing…”

Russell Simmons On DMX, “He was brilliant…he was just amazing…”

Russel Simmons is responsible for way too many music acts to keep count. While speaking with Hot97, Simmons was asked what his biggest disappointment with the current state of Def Jam was-to which Simmons cited rapper DMX and how he never reached his full potential.

“Things that disappoint me are people that didn’t get to achieve all their greatness in some cases,” Simmons said. “Like I’ve experienced watching brilliant artists not become all they could have been. DMX is the number one I can think of. Cause he was brilliant…He was just amazing. And he said amazing stuff. And he was a great vocalist. And a great artist and a great everything. And, you know, people make choices that make it more difficult for them to continue to be great. And some make choices that make them make it easier to continue to be great. And I’ve seen many people and their entourages destroyed them. And I’ve seen people who have had to shed some of their entourage in order to keep going. My entourage that [I] kinda needed to shed died [or] went to jail.”

Check out the full interview with Russell below:

Share this story
Russel Simmons Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
Russel Simmons Related Songs & Videos