Russell Simmons Speaks On The Kendrick Lamar Grammy Awards Controversy

Russell Simmons Speaks On The Kendrick Lamar Grammy Awards Controversy

"Kendrick is absolutely a better rapper, and Macklemore had one of the most inspiring, socially conscious songs of the year and that is what did well for him."

A lot of people have been weighing in on the controversy between Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at this year’s Grammy Awards. Russell Simmons is the latest to speak on the situation and he explained why he thinks Kendrick is a much better rapper than Macklemore.

Simmons explained how although he is a fan of both emcees, He thinks Kendrick has the upper hand.

Do you still accept cd’s/demos from the hands of emcees? What type of artist do you think hiphop needs right now? What are you looking for? Lyrics & social consciousness. Someone with lyrics & flow like Kendrick, with the social message of Macklemore. Poets should touch peoples’ hearts, and possessing that ability is what’s most important. What is the best piece of advice someone has ever told you? What did you think about Kendrick Lamar getting robbed last night for best rap album? Kendrick is absolutely a better rapper, and Macklemore had one of the most inspiring, socially conscious songs of the year and that is what did well for him. He’s a great rapper, but there is no evidence anywhere that he’s a better artist than Lamar (Reddit)

Rapper Fabulous also weighed in on the situation during an ESPN broadcast and explained how he thought Macklemore was very talented, but the Grammy Awards had a lot of politics involved when choosing winners.

“I wouldn’t say he’s overrated. I think he’s a good artist. I think he makes great music. And he’s one of the new artists that’s came in on the independent wave. So, I think he’s definitely done a lot for that whole wave too as well. So, I think he’s a good artist,” Fab said in an interview. “I think he’s more commercial and it fits in the kind of music that the Grammys celebrates and is looking for. There’s guys who’ve had tremendous success who’ve never won Grammys. 50 Cent has sold millions and millions of records, he’s not a Grammy winner because of maybe his style of music or whatever. But I think Macklemore fits in there.” (ESPN)

Check out Imagine Dragons “Radioactive” remix featuring Kendrick Lamar below:

Share this story
Russell Simmons Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
Russell Simmons Related Songs & Videos