Vince Staples Explains Why He Doesn’t like Rapping With People

Vince Staples Explains Why He Doesn’t like Rapping With People

"I don’t like rapping with people at all..."

Rapper Vince Staples recently chopped it up with XXL and explained why he doesn’t like rapping with other rappers. Staples made it clear it does not matter who the MC is, he never enjoys rapping alongside them.

“I don’t like rapping with people at all,” Vince Staples says in an interview with XXL. “I don’t care who you are. I don’t like rapping with Earl. I tell him all the time—I don’t like rapping with you. I hate rapping with Mac. Ab-Soul is the worst nigga to rap with. He will make you rap all day, ’cause he don’t stop. Period. He don’t ever stop. At any time of the day, he knocks shit out. We be at Mac Miller’s studio and motherfuckers be in there. He raps all day and if he didn’t, he just gonna look at you and he’ll sit by you and just tap you like, ‘What’s up?’ I’ll be just like, ‘That’s all I can let go.’ That’s pressure. Not even pressure in a bad way—’Aw, I ain’t got verses.’ I don’t really do that all day. Every single person you see me working with really, really love that shit. So I can’t work with people that’s doing it for the wrong reasons. I don’t want to be around them and shit. I like being around people like that, because that’s something I really didn’t have when I was first started making music. That’s what I really appreciate the most.” 

Vince went on to also explain why he never looked up to any rappers, including Snoop Dogg.

“Never,” Staples says. “‘Cause Snoop was Snoop Dogg. I wasn’t trying to be no rapper when I was a little kid, or even up until recently. I wasn’t trying to be a rapper while I was rapping until I had to really put my mind in that frame. Before that, I didn’t really have no rapper heroes or anything like that.” 

Share this story
Vince Staples Related Stories
Leave Your Comment
Vince Staples Related Songs & Videos