Rap Basement
was successfully added to your cart.

Vince Staples

Vince Staples On Lyrical Rap, “…it’s the most offensive thing you can say about a rapper”

Posted By on December 1, 2015

Fresh off of being named Consequence Of Sound‘s “2015 Rookie Of The Year”, rapper Vince Staples recently gave his thoughts on ‘lyrical rap’ and thinks boxing in MCs is what’s ruining the game.

“I think that the word ‘lyrical’ is the most offensive thing you can say [about a rapper],” the Long Beach, California rapper says to the publication. “If the song has lyrics, it’s fucking lyrical.”

2 Chainz and Plies went to college,” he says. “I dropped out of high school. Are they smarter than me because of that? Am I smarter than them because of the way the music sounds? It’s just not fair. We gotta stop that.”

Staples later goes on to explain how Rock music influenced him.

“To me, I understand the argument of appropriation — I do feel like it happens — but we’re all people at the end of the day, and we’re all artists,”  says. “We all take from one another. If there’s a piano in a blues or a jazz song, are they appropriating Beethoven? Maybe we need to remove certain things from certain conversations, but maybe we don’t, and I just feel like I love the Rolling Stones, and me loving the Rolling Stones [means] I love Muddy Waters, and that’s what my mother listened to. There’s no difference within all of it.”